These gluten free baked zucchini fries are a healthier and delicious way to satisfy your snack food cravings. Served with a lightened up aioli dip, they make the perfect side dish, appetizer, or game-day snack!
It’s officially zucchini season! Instead of making an abundance of bread or muffins with your garden-grown zucchini, try making these healthier Baked Zucchini Fries with Lightened Up Aioli.
These zucchini fries are a great swap for those starchy, fried potato fries we all grew up eating and love. There’s no frying involved, so you can feel good about mindlessly snacking on them.
A few quick tips:
Baked zucchini fries are best when eaten warm out of the oven. When you let them sit for too long, they begin to soften and become slightly soggy. They still taste great, but they’re even better when crispy right out of the oven.
Second, make sure to cut your zucchini in 1/2” strips. This thinner size helps them crisp up quicker.
What’s in my Lightened Up Aioli?
I’m not a condiment person. Dipping fries in ketchup or a mayo-based aioli is just not my thing.
What I do love, though, is creating healthier and even more satisfying alternatives. I’ve been obsessed with cottage cheese lately, and it’s been my go-to when creating creamy dips.
Don’t knock it till you try it.
When you blend cottage cheese in a blender, it becomes very thick and creamy. You’d never even know it was cottage cheese. It’s one of the main ingredients in this lightened-up aioli, along with greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, and some seasoning to taste. I use my Blendtec blender, which comes with a small twister jar (and twister lid) and works really well to blend thick dips.
I also use Good Culture cottage cheese (it’s actually the only brand I like). It’s small curd, has little liquid, and really makes this dip thick and creamy in texture. It also tastes delicious.
Baked Zucchini Fries with Lightened Up Aioli
- 2-3 large zucchini
- ½ cup gluten free all-purpose flour (or 1:1 flour works well too)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- Olive oil
- ½ cup plain cottage cheese (I love Good Culture)
- ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 ½ Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
- Dried parsley, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425℉ and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Trim the ends off of the zucchini. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut into ½” thick fries.
- Add the flour to a shallow dish. In a second shallow dish, whisk together the eggs. In a third shallow dish, mix the parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Dredge the zucchini fries in flour and shake off the excess. Dunk them in the eggs, then coat on all sides with the breadcrumb mixture. Lay evenly in a single layer across the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the zucchini fries with a little olive oil.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until crispy and lightly golden brown, turning the fries once halfway through.
- While the fries are baking, make the aioli by combining all of the ingredients in a blender and blending on low until smooth. Adjust as needed: add more lemon juice to thin, or more spices/salt as needed. Add a pinch of dried parsley if desired.
- Serve fries warm right out of the oven.
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. I only link to products I truly love and recommend. I receive a small commission from any purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Leave a Reply